Refers to a landholding farmed by a priest, the name was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. Though it wasn’t applied to the area until 1194. It has been suggested that this may have been part of the lands and property that feature in the Saxon Charter of AD767. It records that Offa, King of Mercia, granted to Stidberht, Bishop of St Albans, some 16,000 acres of land lying between Gumeninga Hergae (the area around Harrow) and Lidding Brook (Kenton). In AD801, Offa’s successor Cenwulf confirmed the grant, but he later reclaimed the land for himself and all connection with the church appears to have been lost before the time of the Domesday Survey.
96 total views, 1 views today