By the 15thCentury, a small industry was established making bricks in Tile Kiln Lane, the furnace was owned by Lesnes Abbey until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1525. King Henry VIII was a customer. In 1540 he bought 3,000 bricks to construct a manor house in nearby Dartford. The production of clay roof tiles continued until around the start of the 18thCentury.
85 total views, 1 views today