After the property Uplands House which was built for and named by Sir Henry Taylor in 1853, but was the second mansion house to be built in the area. Sir Henry, a dramatic poet and author of Philip van Artevelde, a play about the Flemish patriot, as well as a civil servant in the Colonial Office, had lived at Leyden House, Thames Bank, since 1844. But he decided to move after having doubts whether that situation was good for the health of his children, Mortlake had been hit by three cholera outbreaks within 20 years, the last of which occurred in 1849. Given the house’s position, the name would appear to be literal rather than allegorical. This road was laid out in its grounds in 1952 and the house still stands.