Laid out over Sir Gerard Lowther’s St Anns estate it was named in honour of his brother, the former speaker of the House of Commons, James William Lowther who had been made 1st Viscount Ullswater in 1921. He took his title from the one of the lakes near the family’s Cumbria seat. Ullswater, who was the longest-serving Speaker of the 20thCentury, was famous for offering the following advice to MPs: “There are three golden rules for Parliamentary speakers: Stand up. Speak up. Shut up.” When he died, aged 93, in 1947, The Times wrote: “He was one of the greatest of all the holders of that office and added much more than his full share to the traditions of Parliament.” In 1922, shortly after joining the peers, he was one of four members (out of 20) of the Committee for Privileges, who voted to allow women to sit in the House of Lords. This road was built in 1928.