Named after a family who were lords of the manor of East Sheen and Westhall from the late 18thCentury. The manor was created in the reign of Henry VII, when it was held by the Welbecks from 1618 it had passed through several hands before being transferred to a John Juxon, a sugar baker and merchant tailor of London. From him it descended through the Kay family, widely thought to have been related, and eventually on to Edward Taylor in 1780. The property interests were left in part to his widow a Mrs Elizabeth Taylor, his son Edward, and to his three daughters, Elizabeth, Frances Anne and Leonora, in 1787. Edward did not have long to enjoy his inheritance however, he died the following year and the property transferred to his mother and sisters. The last of whom, Elizabeth, died in 1837, without any direct heirs of her own. And so the property passed to a cousin Major General Edward William Leyborne Popham. When the Leyborne Popham family developed the land, which had until then been used for market gardens, they named many of the streets after family connections. This appropriately enough was near Brick Farm and West Hall the manor buildings used by Elizabeth.
172 total views, 2 views today