This is one of those play on words that officials occasionally liked to employ in the naming of streets. It is named in honour of George Shillibeer (August 11, 1797 – August 21, 1866), an accomplished coach designer and builder, who introduced the omnibus onto London’s roads in 1829. So the name is something of a joke. He is buried in the graveyard at St Mary’s Church close by. From 1790 there was a regular coach service between Chigwell and Aldgate, this continued until the opening of the railway from Stratford and London in 1856, which superseded coach travel. The earliest houses at Chigwell Row date from the 16th and 17th centuries. A cluster of housing on the north side of today’s Lambourne Road can be seen on Chapman and Andre’s 1777 map, though this street was not formally laid out until the 20thCentury. This was the site of the 19thCentury Montfort House, prior to that it had been Bacons.
143 total views, 1 views today