A reference to the fallow deer which once occupied the local forest. This street, like many others in the surrounding area, owes its name to the medieval Hainault Forest, one of the remaining sections of the former Forest of Essex. The woodland became a favourite hunting ground of Tudors and Stuarts, both for pleasure and profit. The types of prey often feature in local street names. Fallow deer still roamed the forest during the years of the Regency, though by 1839 poaching had significantly reduced their numbers. The fences surrounding the woodland soon fell into disrepair allowing the remaining deer to wander out and feed on the crops of local farmers. After the deforestation of Hainault Forest in 1851 the few remaining deer were taken to Windsor. The land was converted to farming, and eventually housing. This street was laid out in the first half of the 20thCentury.