First featured on the Ordnance Survey map of 1865, it was previously unnamed. The road contained only the Vicarage and Avenue House, which had been built a few years earlier and lasted until 1967. The earls of Portland were certainly wealthy and well-connected enough to be regulars at court. Indeed, when Charles II was negotiating the purchase of various parcels of land to create Richmond Park, it was the Earl of Portland, owner of Putney Park, who helped him secure the ownership rights to an area of Roehampton. He was later appointed Keeper or Ranger for his trouble. Although there is no obvious connection as to why this road was so-named.
7 total views, 1 views today