Pembroke Villas, TW9

Place Name

General George Augustus Herbert, (September 10, 1759 – October 26, 1827) was the 11th Earl of Pembroke and 8th Earl of Montgomery who inherited Fitzwilliam House on the corner of Richmond Green when its former owner, his cousin the 7th Viscount Fitzwilliam, died in 1816. The name of  the property was changed soon after he took ownership. While the deceased Viscount’s huge collection of artworks, books and treasures, went off to form the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, the house itself did not survive for long. In 1840 it was knocked down when the London and South Western Railway was being extended from Richmond to Windsor. Between 1851 and 1860 the villas were laid out bearing Pembroke’s name. As for the Earl, in between stints as the MP for Wilton he took part in numerous military campaigns, seeing action in the French Revolutionary Wars. He was later appointed Governor of Guernsey and finally promoted to a general in 1812.

 8 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *