This may well have once had a view overlooking the 12thCentury Bromley Palace (also known as the Bishop’s Palace) which was the residence of the bishops of Rochester. It was built on land originally given to the see of Rochester by the Anglo-Saxon king Ethelbert in penance for the destruction of the church’s lands, which so impoverished the bishops that two resigned their posts. The palace was bought in 1845 by Coles Child, a wealthy local merchant and philanthropist. Today it forms part of the Civic Centre.
101 total views, 1 views today