Named after Sir Launcelot, one of the Knights of the Round Table. He was the king’s greatest companion and his closest friend until his adulterous affair with Queen Guinevere is discovered, causing a civil war which is exploited by Mordred and brings about the end of Arthur’s kingdom. This road on the Downham Estate, built sometime between 1924 and 1930, is one of several named after the Arthurian legend. The local school used to be called Malory and was named after the author of L’Morte d’Arthur originally titled The Whole Book of King Arthur and His Noble Knights of the Round Table. The estate was built as part of the slum clearances following the First World War.
9 total views, 1 views today