Directional, once leading to Mossford Green. The name is thought to mean a mossy place at the foot of a hill and comes from the Old English words mos and fot. An unnamed street following the approximate route of today’s Mossford Lane and leading to a small hamlet called Mofsfoot Green appears on Andre and Chapman’s 1777 map of Essex. By 1898 this route had been named Blind Lane, possibly due to the twists and turns in its course (especially in its northernmost reaches) but by the 1960s had been renamed to its present name.
47 total views, 1 views today