An abbey was built in the village of Merevale, Warwickshire, in 1148 by Robert de Ferrers, 2nd Earl of Derby. It was relatively small, with only around 10 monks from Bordesley. It was closed in 1538 during the reign of Henry VIII and fell into ruin, but traces of it remain to the present day. One of the most significant parts to have survived is the gate chapel, now used as the parish church which is famous for its Cistercian stained glass and for being the only Cistercian gate chapel to be open for regular weekly services. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.
166 total views, 1 views today