This is part of an ancient route, now considerably shortened. Before wide scale development of the area, this route ran from Well Hall on the outskirts of the village of Eltham village all the way to Kidbrooke, roughly following today’s Rochester Way. It came out at Kidbrooke Park Road, where the modern Kidbrooke Way, which was the north-western end of the lane, is. Kidbrooke takes its name from a local stream – still called the Kid Brook – where kites were seen. John Field in Place Names of Greater London writes: “The earliest form showing the characteristic Kentish form cëta, for the West Saxon cÿta.” It was written as Chirebroc sometime around the turn of the 11thCentury and as Ketebroc in 1202.
7 total views, 1 views today