Directional, it is a junction off the Rochester Way. This road was originally part of the far longer Kidbrooke Lane which led from Well Hall on the outskirts of Eltham to the village of Kidbrooke past the church of St Nicholas. For a time, following the development of the Rochester Road, it was known as Brooke Lane. Kidbrooke itself takes its name from a local stream – still called the Kid Brook – where kites were seen. John Field in Place Names of Greater London writes: “The earliest form showing the characteristic Kentish form cëta, for the West Saxon cÿta.” It was written as Chirebroc sometime around the turn of the 11thCentury and as Ketebroc in 1202.
9 total views, 1 views today