The origin is uncertain but is generally thought to be named after a moat that was dug along the eastern boundary of the City Wall at the turn of the 13thCentury. In his Survey of London published in 1598, John Stow claims that the name was literal, that it was where dead dogs were dumped blocking the fetid waterway. Others however think it may refer to a nearby kennels, which makes more sense as the Old English word hund specifically meant a hunting dog. It was spelt Hondesdich in 1275, Hundesdich in 1502 and Honnsdiche in 1561. In 1927, local businessmen petitioned to have the name of the road changed but evidently they were unsuccessful.
58 total views, 1 views today