Gilbert Glanvill served as Bishop of Rochester from 1185 until his death on June 24, 1214. He was forced to flee England with Bishop Herbert of Salisbury in 1207 during a dispute between King John and Pope Innocent III over the election of the new archbishop of Canterbury. This street, like many others locally, is named after former Bishops of Rochester who from the 12thCentury to 1845 resided at Bromley Palace (also known as the Bishop’s Palace). It is now part of the Civic Centre.
34 total views, 1 views today