Formerly Union Street, it is named after Nathan Marcus Adler (May 30, 1839 – July 18, 1911), chief rabbi of Great Britain between 1845 and 1890. Adler was also a founder of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty and Better Protection of Children. He saw huge advances for British jews during his time as chief rabbi including the completion of the emancipation of Jews within the United Kingdom; the election in 1847 and, 11 years later, of the first Jewish member of parliament, Lionel de Rothschild; Nathan Mayer Rothschild’s ascent as the first Jewish member of the House of Lords in 1885; and, Sir David Salomons’s term as the first Jewish Lord Mayor of London in 1855. He was succeeded by his son Rabbi Hermann Adler who was chief rabbi of the British Empire from 1891 to 1911.
29 total views, 1 views today