When this road was built, before 1878, it connected King’s Road with Fulham Road and the area was still in deepest countryside, surrounded by fruit nurseries, farms and wide open spaces. The name Fulham was first mentioned as an Anglo-Saxon homestead sometime around AD705 as Fulanham, meaning Fulla’s pasture. As with other places with the word ham it comes from the Old English hamm meaning a settlement found in a bend in the river. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 it had become Fuleham, taking on its modern spelling as early as 1274.
67 total views, 1 views today