Laid out over farmland owned by Emmanuel College, Cambridge, which it purchased from a Richard Martyn, who himself had bought it in 1587. The property originally formed the southern boundary of the Hyde Farm Estate which in the Middle Ages was an open field of approximately 60 acres and known as The Hyde and then Hydefield. Between 1896 and 1916 the Hyde Farm Estate was developed with numerous boundary alignments and Bleak Hall Lane was renamed as Emmanuel Road to commemorate its historical connections. Scholars Road which runs off Emmanuel Road was similarly named for its scholastic connections. The name Emmanuel or Immanuel is a biblical reference to Jesus that was mentioned in the Gospel of Matthew referring to a prophecy of the birth of the Messiah meaning God is with us.
14 total views, 2 views today