This was already a thriving market – a chepe in Old English – by the time the Normans had invaded. It was one of London’s principle shopping streets specialising in meat. This distinguished it from the market in the west, which was Cheapside. Around 1100 it was recorded as Eastceape and Estchepe by 1246.
25 total views, 1 views today