Like nearby Bycullah Road, the avenue takes its name from the estate of Bycullah House, over which it was laid out in the later part of the 19thCentury. The house was named after a suburb of Bombay by a retired Indian Army officer, Colonel John Reginald Riddell, who became a director of the York and Lancaster Railway company. The Bycullah Estate was developed from 1878. Building on former Chase land near Windmill Hill was also stimulated by the opening of the railway station in Enfield in 1871. Bycullah Avenue was marked on an auctioneer’s plan of 1888 and may have been referred to eight years earlier as Avenue Road.
67 total views, 1 views today