Named after the 12thCentury church of St Botolph-by-Billingsgate, which stood on the south side of Thames Street. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 but not rebuilt. It was one of four medieval churches dedicated to this 7thCentury English saint who was the patron of travellers, hence churches near gates and quays were often dedicated to him. He also gave his name to Boston in Lincolnshire, where he is thought to have founded an abbey. The road was recorded as Seyntbotulfeslane in 1349 and Botulpheslane in 1432.
94 total views, 1 views today