Bingham Road, CR0

Place Name

Anne Louisa Bingham (January 6, 1782 – 5 December 1848) was the wife of Alexander Baring who inherited the Ashburton Estate from his aunt Elizabeth Baring. She was also the daughter of the man rumoured to be the richest man in the American War of Independence. Built between 1890 and 1910, in the Arts and Crafts style, the western section of Bingham Road is one of the earliest sections of large and rapid residential development in Addiscombe. It marked the first phase of large scale interwar settlement stimulated by the development of public transport beginning with a horse drawn tram line with a terminus by Bingham Road Bridge. In The Story of St Mildred’s, Addiscombe, by the Reverend Charles Budden (1937), he describes it as not a road “but a lane, and in wet weather those who attended church [at that time the small church on the corner of Parkview Road, opened in 1914] were forced to walk on planks to get there dryshod”.

 57 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *