Named after the East India Company which ran a military academy at Addiscombe House between 1809 and 1858. Having bought the property and lands In 1808, from its then owner, Henry Delme Radcliff, for £15,500. Nearby roads are named after military individuals with a prominent role in the 1857 Indian Mutiny (first War of Independence). Charles Canning, 1st Earl Canning, statesman and Governor-General of India during the Indian Rebellion of 1857; Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde, Henry Havelock and Sir James Outram, 1st Baronet, who were all generals in India at the time; and James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin, Governor-General of India 1862 and 1863. In 1861 the buildings and 88 acres of land that formed the East India Company Estate were sold at auction to the British Land Company for a total value of £33,600.