Directional. From the late 18thCentury this was the pikeroad (toll) from London to Tunbridge Wells and on to Hastings. Farnborough was a well-known stopping off point where horses were changed at The New Inn, built around 1860, since renamed as The Change of Horses. Bush’s Directory of Farnborough published in 1914 explained: “At one time Farnborough was more frequented than at present as being situate on the main road to Tunbridge Wells and Hastings numerous coaches passed through daily. At present in the summer season large numbers of excursionists by road are in the habit of making it their rendezvous. A considerable area has now been built upon and the population is rapidly increasing.” It is now part of the A21.
97 total views, 1 views today