Walter Whitehorse was shield bearer to Edward III and from sometime around 1361 to 1387, Parliament’s first Black Rod. Sometime in 1369 he was granted the right to free warren, rearing and hunting rabbits, in the southern part of Croydon (for a while known as Suthbenchesham). Bensham Manor was renamed Whitehorse Manor in his honour, and is remembered today in Whitehorse Manor School, which stands on the site. This road used to run across Croydon Common.
65 total views, 1 views today