The name of Wanstead can be traced back to shortly before the Norman Conquest. Written as Wænstede sometime around 1050, it means a settlement by a hillock or mound, wœnn being the Old English word for lump although others suggest it may mean wain or wagon. Sometime around 1066 it was written Wenstede and in 1086 as Wenesteda’. Wanstead Park incoroporates part of the grounds of Wanstead House which was knocked down in 1824.
46 total views, 1 views today