In Chipstead, Surrey. Named after the Walpole family who lived at Stagbury House. In the 1890s Henrietta Vade-Walpole oversaw the sale of land on the Stagbury estate to the South Eastern Railway with a view to exploiting the potential of the railway for property development, primarily aimed at wealthy City financiers. Walpole Avenue, with its substantial houses and large gardens, was laid out in 1901 and steadily developed over the next 40 years.
228 total views, 1 views today