After a former abbey in Torquay, Devon, founded in 1196 by six Premonstratensian canons from Nottinghamshire on land given to them by William Brewer, lord of the manor of Torre. Torre was the ancient name for the village of Torquay, it comes from Tor, an old word for a weathered rocky outcrop, and refers to the extensively quarried remains just outside the modern town. The abbey prospered becoming the wealthiest of all the Premonstratensian houses in England. It was dissolved under the orders of Henry VIII in 1539. It is the best-preserved medieval monastery in Devon and Cornwall. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.
194 total views, 1 views today