Tennyson Road, E10

Place Name

Alfred Tennyson (August 6, 1809 – October 6, 1892), or Alfred Lord Tennyson as he came to be known, was Poet Laureate during much of Queen Victoria’s reign, and remains one of the most popular British poets. He was born in Somersby, Lincolnshire, where his alcoholic father was rector. The separation of his parents led the teenager to grow up concerned about his own mental health and plagued him with money worries for years to come. He was extremely short-sighted and needed a monocle to be able to see to eat. The mixed reception of his early works published in 1832, which included the first version of The Lady of Shalott, stung him; but his fortunes changed following the success of two volumes published in 1842. This included a new version of The Lady of Shalott; Break, Break, Break; and Ulysses. A favourite of Prince Albert, he was appointed Poet Laureate, succeeding William Wordsworth in 1850, a position that allowed him to marry his childhood sweetheart Emily Sellwood. As laureate he wrote The Charge of the Light Brigade, a dramatic tribute to the British cavalrymen involved in an ill-advised charge on October 25, 1854, during the Crimean War. Other works include Ode on the Death of the Duke of Wellington and Morte d’Arthur. He also dedicated The Idylls Of The King to the memory of Albert. At Queen Victorian’s insistence, he accepted a peerage, which he had previously turned down when it was offered by both Gladstone and Disraeli. Originally called Avenue Road it was laid out on land that was once Stratford Langthorne Abbey’s Grange Farm. It was renamed after the poet Alfred Lord Tennyson in the 1887 as part of a small cluster of roads in honour of poets, the others are Byron Road and Shelley Road .

 159 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.