Stephen Arthur Jewers (1897 – 1969) was the founder of the Barking and District Historical Society. Appointed as clerk to Barking Urban District Council in 1925, he became the first town clerk six years later. On October 6, 1934 Jewers suggested the formation of a local history group during a visit to the area by members of the British Archaeological Society. This is one of a small group of streets named after prominent local figures, having been laid out in the second half of the 20thCentury on the grounds of the former Barking Hospital. The hospital site today comprises of Barking Community Hospital which opened in July 2013, the rest of the site having been sold in 1999 for housing.
40 total views, 1 views today