Shrewsbury Abbey, in the town of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, was founded as a Benedictine monastery by Roger de Montgomery, the Earl of Shrewsbury, in 1083. It takes it name from the town, which grew up from around AD800 and was known in Old English as Scrobbesburh, meaning either Scrobb’s Fort or the fortified place in the bushes. Over time that evolved into Schrosberie and eventually, Shrewsbury. The Domesday Book found de Montgomery’s abbey under construction: “In the City of SHREWSBURY Earl Roger is building an Abbey and has given to it the monastery of St Peter where the parish (church?) of the City was.” It grew to be one of the most prestigious in the country, and an important centre of pilgrimage. Much of it was destroyed following its closure in the 16thCentury. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.