Directional, the road leading to Plaistow. The name of the area is believed to come from Sir Hugh de Plaitz who, in 1065, married Philippa de Montfitchet, of the Mountfitchet Castle family, who owned the district. It is Philippa who is claimed to have named it the Manor of Plaiz. A stow was a place of assembly, but also described as a town or village, so it was the village of Plaiz, or assembly place within the Manor, Plaiz-stow. It had earlier been thought that the name meant a place of recreation, an open space for the villagers to hold meetings around which a hamlet grew.
149 total views, 1 views today