This is a corruption of Pentriches which derives from the Manor of Honeylands and Pentriches, the original name of Capel Manor. It is thought that Pentriches also spelt Pentrich, Pentrich and Pentridge is of Celtic origin. In the 15thCentury it was joined with another property called Honeylands, which itself had various spellings including Honylands and Honeyland to form the Manor of Honeylands and Pentriches. In 1486 the manor was sold by Jane, wife of Sir Thomas Lewknor and widow of Sir John Yonge, to Sir William Capel who built Capel House. By 1546 the manor had been surrendered to the Crown, although the association between the family and the manor endured as by 1615 the manor had become known as Capels. By 1754 the Enfield Tithe Map showed it written as Painters Lane but the Report books of the Surveyor to the Enfield Local Board of Health, was still mentioning it as Pentrich Lane in 1867.
75 total views, 1 views today