This street name commemorates the battles for Mount Kemmel during the First World War as part of the German Spring Offensive of 1918. From April 17–19 , the German Fourth Army tried to take the Kemmelberg, a height commanding the area between Armentières and Ypres, that was held by the British. But the defending soldiers managed to repel the attackers. A few days before the attack the French had agreed to relieve the British troops taking over defence of the hill. But five days after the first battle the Fourth Army with three divisions and captured it. This success gained some ground but it made no progress toward a new break in the Allied line. The Kemmel Kemmel was the battle honour awarded to units of the British and Imperial Armies that took part in either of the engagements. It is one of a small cluster of streets on the Goresbrook Village Estate which is named after First World War battles that involved the Essex Regiment, which later became the Royal Anglians, now the official regiment of Barking and Dagenham. Nearby is Ypres Place, Gallipoli Place, Marne Road, and Krithia Road, a sixth road is named after a Second World War hero. Council leader Liam Smith, who announced the road names in 2013, said at the time: “We must never forget the sacrifice that others have made for their country and also the huge contributions and sacrifices made by Commonwealth and former British Empire troops. These street names will remain as a reminder to generations to come.” The Goresbrook Village scheme is part of the Barking & Dagenham’s estate renewal project, which also saw the Gascoigne, Leys and Althorne Way estates demolished and rebuilt. A total of 149 homes are built on the site, which was completed in 2015.
115 total views, 1 views today