First recorded around the turn of the first millennium, it was named after a local Saxon landowner called something like Gisla or Gislhere with the second part meaning a hill, so Gisla’s hill. In an Anglo-Saxon charter from around AD1000 it is documented as Giskandune. By the time of William the Conqueror’s great survey the Domesday Book in 1086 it had become Idledone and by the 14thCentury Isledon. It began to take its modern form in 1464 as Islyngton. Originally called Paradise Row or Old Paradise Row, it was renamed Islington Green sometime before 1868.
79 total views, 1 views today