Remembering Sarah Ingleby (December 22, 1823 – January 3, 1906), the last private resident of the Valentines Estate and a local philanthropist who in 1889 donated land for St Clement’s Church on nearby Park Avenue. Ingleby, a deeply religious and charitable woman who spent most of her life on the estate, had been a pillar of the local community and taken a great interest in the welfare of her less fortunate neighbours, serving as President of the Ilford Philanthropic Society for many years. It was during this time that she built a school for the children of the workers on her estate at Beehive. The road itself was laid out on land at the southern tip of Ingleby’s former estate. Her son Holcombe Ingleby, continued her good work, donating more land following his mother’s death. The remaining parts of the estate were bought by Ilford Council in 1912, and this street was laid out during the early part of the 20thCentury.
16 total views, 1 views today