Inglebert Street and Ingle Mews are named after William Inglebert the visionary who in 1606 petitioned the Common Council for the right to bring water from the springs of Amwell and Chadwell, in Hertfordshire into the City. The land-drainage engineer proposed to do this by creating a new 20 mile channel. In Brief Lives, John Aubrey writes: “He was a poore-man, but Sir Hugh Middleton, alderman of London, moneyed the businesse; undertooke it; and gott the profit and also the credit of that most usefull invention, for which there ought to have been erected a statue for the memory of this poore-man from the city of London.” Even then Inglebert was not recognised for several centuries. When this road was laid out in 1828 it was called Upper Chadwell Street. Inglebert was only recognised in 1935.
68 total views, 1 views today