Ingestre Road, NW5

place name

Charles John Chetwynd-Talbot (April 13, 1830 – May 11, 1877), 19th Earl of Shrewsbury, styled Viscount of Ingestre, the British Conservative politician who built this, and some neighbouring streets, in the mid-19thCentury. The name comes from Ingestre, Stafford where Chetwynd’s family had owned the local manor since the reign of Edward III. Chetwynd served in the British Army, holding various different commissions, before embarking upon a career in politics. He entered the House of Commons as one of two representatives for Stafford in 1857. That same year, says Gillian Bebbington in London Street Names, Chetwynd entered into a business partnership with Lord Alfred Spencer Churchill, a younger son of the Duke of Marlborough, and purchased a large meadow at Kentish Town, adjoining the estate of his first cousin William Lord Dartmouth. Ingestre Road, Chetwynd Road, Spencer Rise and Churchill Road were all laid out on the meadow the same year. Chetwynd later represented Staffordshire North from 1859 – 1865, and Stamford in 1868. From 1875 – 1877 he served as Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms in the second Conservative administration of Benjamin Disraeli and became a member of the Privy Council in 1874. Something of a philanthropist, he was also responsible for developing an artisans’ block called Ingestre Buildings, a pioneer attempt to tackle the problem of the working-class slums in a benevolent and practical way in Soho, in 1853-6, hence Ingestre Place, Soho.

 115 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *