Named after Henry Macaulay the Borough Surveyor who worked for the Kingston-Upon-Thames for nearly 20 years in the late Victorian period. Among his achievements in the town was the creation of Canbury Gardens. After years of gravel extraction used for the large scale road building programmes of the 19thCentury the former grazing land near the town had become an eyesore. Following complaints from residents in the 1880s plans were put in place to turn this former pit into a public garden “that the view from the river shall be a pleasant one and not, as at present, unsightly and obnoxious”. Macaulay designed and laid out the area which opened in 1890 as Canbury Gardens.
11 total views, 1 views today