Haverfield Gardens, TW9

Place Name

John Haverfield (1705 – October 1784) was the chief gardener of the royal gardens at Richmond and Kew to Augusta, Dowager Princess of Wales. His job at Kew was taken over by his son, also called John (1744 – 1820). In addition to being a gardener, Haverfield junior was an architect and played a key role in works at Abbey House, Wolsingham, Norfolk. Thomas Haverfield (May 23, 1787 – May 3, 1866) John junior’s son was curate at St Anne’s Church, Kew Green between 1812 and 1828. He lived all his life any Haverfield House on Kew Green and this cul-de-sac was laid our at the bottom of his garden following its sale for the development of the Priory Estate in 1875. David Blomfield in Kew Past writes: “The Haverfields were very influential in Kew Vestry. The first John Haverfield had come to Kew in 1759. A west countryman, and a master gardener, he had been recommended to Princess Augusta by Lord Bute. While Aiton, who was initially his deputy, looked after the botanic garden, Haverfield ran the Richmond Pleasure garden… as he did not qualify for a pension, the King had agreed to a lifetime appointment, It was a long one. Haverfield died in office, at the age of ninety. Two of Haverfield’s sons had worked with him, Thomas leaving to succeed [Capability] Brown at Hampton Court, and John staying to take over from his father until 1795. when Aiton assumed responsibility for what were then twin gardens.” He adds: “John Haverfield II then seems to have joined his brother-in-law in business, while assuming a role akin to lay preacher at St Anne’s.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *