The former Garendon Abbey, near Loughborough was founded in 1133 by Robert de Beaumont, 2nd Earl of Leicester. Despite having been endowed with much land at Garendon and across the county of Leicestershire, by the end of the 13thCentury, the abbey had fallen on hard times, acquiring debts of £120. In 1295 the king appointed a “special keeper” to try and deal with the problem, though its finances never seemed to recover. It was closed in 1536 under the orders of King Henry VIII during his cull of the monasteries. The 18thCentury Garendon Hall was built on its site. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.