This street has undergone numerous name changes in the past 300 years. In 1764 it was called Harrow Lane after a nearby public house. Soon afterwards it became known as Jews Farm Lane but this was changed to East Avenue in the early 20thCentury. Not, as a reference to a compass point, but rather a man, Joseph East, who in 1895 became the first chairman of the East Ham Urban District Council (UDC) which replaced the local board.
139 total views, 1 views today