This was where the Bailiff of Egle (also spelt Ecle, Eycle, Eagle, or Aquila) in Lincolnshire, a high-level dignitary in the Order of St John, had his house. The position was originally created in 1139 by King Stephen for the Knights Templar, a powerful Catholic military order which protected pilgrims going to the Holy Land. The order grew in power and amassed a lot of land over the centuries, but their popularity fermented suspicion among the powerful and the order was disbanded. Their lands transferred to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem in the 14thCentury who were based nearby.
55 total views, 1 views today