Originally called King Street, the name changed to its present one in 1880, as part of a review of street names to end confusion over similar sounding streets. In March 1879 the Cyrus Cylinder was uncovered by Assyro-British archaeologist Hormuzd Rassam working for the British Museum. The 6thCentury BC baked-clay cylinder featured a declaration in Akkadian cuneiform script in the name of Persia’s Achaemenid king Cyrus the Great. It was not unusual for names to be changed to reflect big events.
79 total views, 1 views today