Directional. Cudham was first recorded as Codeham in the Domesday Book of 1086 with an entry that reads: “Gilbert Maminot holds of the bishop Codeham… a church is there”. The bishop being Odo, Bishop of Bayeaux, half-brother of William the Conquerer. The name itself originates from a pre-Norman Conquest landowner, thought to be Cuda’s settlement after a Saxon landowner; or possibly from the same root as Crofton meaning the farm on the hill. Cudham had several spellings including Cudeham in 1278 and Codam in 1458.
146 total views, 1 views today