John Bridgeford Maxwell Coppock (1910 – April 4,1981) was a lecturer and research chemist, who taught chemistry and metallurgy at Battersea Polytechnic between 1935 and 1941. He left teaching to take up a job with Boots. After the Second World War he was enrolled in the Army and was charged with preparing a report on the state of Germany’s chemical industry for the Allied forces. After leaving the forces he changed direction and entered the field of food science and technology. He was the first director of the British Baking Industries Research Association and his achievements there led to his receiving the OBE in 1959. The previous year he became director of research and scientific services of Spillers Ltd., but continued to consult to the Research Association Council until his death. In 1970 he became visiting professor of food, science, and nutrition in the Biochemistry Department of the University of Surrey. He served on numerous bodies including the Royal Society’s British National Committee for Nutritional Sciences; was chairman of the United Kingdom Council for Food Science and Technology; and had been chairman of the Food Group; and Vice-President (1976 – 1978) of the Society of Chemical Industry. In 1974 Professor Coppock was named to honorary fellowship in American Public Health Association. He died at his home in Haywards Heath, Sussex, England, at the age of 71. His death was about the same year as the Kambala Estate was completed.