Constructed sometime after 1870 to take advantage of the railway line to the area, completed 14 years earlier. It is named in honour of Dr George Birkbeck (1776 – 1841) a physician and a pioneer of adult education. Francis Ravenscroft who admired Birkbeck’s philanthropy set up the Birkbeck Bank and Birkbeck Building Society and it is through these that much of the development across Greater London was financed in the 19thCentury. Many of the roads on the estate are named after prominent employees.
174 total views, 1 views today