This is either a reference to the makers of rosaries, known as Pater Nosters (from the Latin for Our Father), or the writers of religious texts. Given its proximity to St Paul’s Cathedral, this is not surprising. Like nearby Paternoster Row and Ave Marie Lane this was where rosary beads were strung together and sold to the public in Roman Catholic England. It has also been suggested that this is where rosary processions around the precincts would come to their conclusion ending with the words “Et fidelium animæ per misericordiam Dei requiescant in pace. Amen”. It was known as Amen Lane in 1603 but had taken its contemporary name by 1661.
90 total views, 2 views today